As the premier modular multilayer Cisco switch for integrated data center switching, the Cisco Catalyst 6500 Series offers a new, high-performance 48-port 10/100/1000 Ethernet over copper module designed specifically for use with the Cisco Catalyst 6500 Series Supervisor Engine 720 in data center and distribution layer deployments.
- Up to 386 high-performance 10/100/1000 Ethernet over copper ports in a single Cisco Catalyst 6500 Series chassis
- Flexible, scalable, field-upgradable daughter card options to support full locally distributed forwarding through the DFC3A for investment protection and "pay as you grow" performance
- Jumbo frame support, up to 9000 bytes, commonly required in data centers
- RJ-45 interfaces to support existing copper cabling infrastructures
- Future support for an integrated time-domain reflectometer for cable fault detection and ease of troubleshooting
- Forwarding architecture
These modules use the central Cisco Express Forwarding engine located on the supervisor engine; optional field-upgradable Distributed Cisco Express Forwarding daughter cards are available.
- Fabric connection
These modules connect to the switch-fabric channels using dual 20 Gbps switch-fabric channels.